Monday, June 30, 2008

Ralph & Penny Richards 50th Anniversary




June 21st was Ralph and Penny's 50th Anniversary. We (all the Richards children) had been busy planning this for the six months to a year. So starting Friday afternoon the whole Richards clan started congrigating in Evanton for the big celebration. The first activity was a round of golf for all the boys. Which is their favorite thing to do when they get together. I am sorry to say that my poor husband Shawn came in last with a 94. Better luck next time Shawn. That evening we had a BBQ and the kids all had a great time playing with their cousins.




On Saturday morning all the women went to breakfast and the men stayed home and watched the kids. Uncle Ken made his famous thin pancakes (the Ellinger's know them as crepes).





For the four of us who went out to breakfast it was so nice not to have little people there hanging on you. We had a great time talking and laughing.

I was planning a surprise the Ralph and Penny so that afternoon when everyone went to the park to play and have lunch I said I was tired and wanted to lie down at the hotel before the big party that night. But instead of laying down I really was going back to decorate a cake for them. It was a replica of their wedding cake.





Last year when we first started talking about what we wanted to do for thier anniversary I knew I wanted to make a cake for them. But I was worried that it would be out of my relm of ability. So when a few months later we came across a picture of their cake I was very excited that it didn't look to difficult. Though I must say trying to decortate it in a hotel room made it a little more intersting, because I knew if somthing went wrong there was no way I could fix it. Thankfuly it all turned out ok.



Meanwhile at the park their was a big baseball game going on. I think this was the first time Libby and Mallory got to really play. Even Tracy got in on the action and she is due to have her baby anyday.









That evening was the big celebration at the Bear River Restaurant. We had dinner there and then all the grandkids each did a musical number. Libby and Mallory sang and signed "I Am A Child Of God" and then the theme song from Scooby Doo. I am sorry to say they did a better job on Scooby Doo. I guess you can see where our priorities are.





Probably the highlight of the evening was the DVD that Shawn and his siblings had put together of their life and years together. We also had them cut the cake and feed it to eachother. It was a great weekend and fun to celebrate their years together.

2 comments:

Jinsey Jane said...

What fun to read all about the
50th year anniversary celebration for Ralph and Penny. We have been hearing about your preparations for awhile and now we get to enjoy it with you through picture and text. You did a fabulous job on the cake! I am super impressed. What fun to have the kids playing baseball with their cousins and aunts and uncles. Now when dad watches baseball they can know a little more about it because they experienced it. I love the picture of Ralph and Penny cutting their cake when they were first married. What a beautiful/handsome couple. I am sooooooooo glad that you were able to share this all online so that I could enjoy it also. Keep up the great work. I will now take time to press the hyperlink to your blog because I will be pleasantly surprised to find something fun to read as I did today. Anything is bloggable so even cute little moments with the kids or whatever.

Stephanie Ellinger said...

Wow, Penny can't weigh a pound more (maybe even 10 lbs less) than she did when she got married. PLEASE keep up the blogging.... Ellie LOVES to see pictures of her cousins!